There was a time when business cards served a very practical purpose, that of letting others know how and where to reach your business. Though that is still the primary purpose of the card, they have become an avenue to enable your creativity to take full rein. With so many options for custom business card design services, everyone can become a designer and create a card that leaves a striking impression in the minds of people who receive it.
Several business owners incorporate handy tools like a match box, a comb, and even musical instruments within the card to make it stand out among all the rest. While there are no rules when it comes to creating card designs, there are a few essential dos and don’ts that business owners can adhere to.
- Do incorporate your logo into the visiting card. In the age of personalization, using mundane clip art on your call card is not a salient idea. Designing a logo is simple and there are many professionals out there who can help you design a logo that reflects the ethos of your business. Including your logo on the card is a great idea because it helps to foster a long-lasting connection between your brand and the logo.
- Do limit your business card to a couple of type fonts. When it comes to custom business card design, it is easy to get carried away and try to include everything you like on that little bit of paper. Limit yourself to one or two fonts to ensure that the cards are readable and not cluttered.
- Do keep it simple. If you have multiple addresses to list or more information to add to the card, consider using the back of the card for the same. A cleaner and simpler card is easy to read and does not cause a visual overload.
- Don’t use cheap paper. While you are designing your card, put yourself in the shoes of your prospective customers. How would you feel if you got a paper thin card that is easy to tear? A badly designed and executed visiting card will leave the customer wondering whether your services will follow the same quality standard.
- Don’t be afraid to break the rules. These cards can have pull-out tabs, be of different shapes, colors and materials – the only thing limiting you is your imagination. Let your card reflect who you are in terms of shape, design, and material.
Designing your own visiting card can be a fun process. Approach it with a plan in mind.