Layer blend modes are powerful features of image editing software. Here’s a quick and easy way to fix a washed out picture using blend modes in any version of Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. In fact, this technique will work in any other software that offers a soft light layer blend mode.
In this article, we will see how washed out photos can be corrected with blend modes in Photoshop. The fact of the matter is that this technique works in all apps used for editing images. Follow the steps given below.
First of all, we highly recommend that you create a copy of the image you are going to edit, especially if you are dealing with a photo you don’t have another copy of in a CD other storage media. At times, we end up damaging an image and we cannot even reverse the damage. So, having another copy of the image is a great idea.
· Import the washed out photo into Photoshop.
· Before you try to edit the photo manually, we recommend that you try out the Auto Levels option.
· If the first option gets your photo corrected, you are done, and you don’t need to do anything else. Just save the photo. But if you are not satisfied with the results, you should go ahead and follow next steps. You need to click “Undo” to reverse the changes you made.
· If you cannot see the lawyer palette, make it visible. To do this, you should go to Windows and then choose “Show Layers”.
· Now, you need to duplicate the background. To do this, you should drag the image background to the fresh layer button upon the lawyer palette.
· At this step, the blend mode should be set to Soft Light for the duplicate lawyer.
· Reduce the lawyer opacity if the results are very dark.
· If the picture still looks washed out, you should move the copy to the fresh lawyer button for duplicating it once again. Now, make adjustment to opacity as per your desire.
So, this is how you can edit your washed out photos to get them corrected in a few minutes from the comfort of your home. If you don’t have the time or you don’t own a computer to correct the photos on your own, you can contact an image editing service provider in your area. Hopefully, they will be able to do it for you for a few bucks.